Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sock Summit

Sock Summit 2009


I really really really really really really really really really (is that enough really's? Nope) really really really want to go. Really. I mean it. The teacher list is amazing. Anna (OMG I thought she was dead) Zilboorg, Barbara (the queen) Walker, Cookie A, Star Athena, Melissa (2 at a time) Morgan-Oakes, Stephanie Pearl-McPHee, Charlene Schurch, Cat (oh wise one) Bordhi, and the list just goes on and on. A marketplace in the Oregon Convention Center and a sock hop in the Sunken Ballroom at the Portland Art Museum. What could be better? Oh, yeah, that it is being held in Portland (one of my favorite cities), Oregon where my friend Elaine lives and home to Powell's and a billion micro-breweries and sitting right on top of one of the most fertile wine regions in the country.

Right now flights are looking like they are going to run around $351 (and 11 cents to be exact with taxes and fees) which isn't so bad. Then there is the convention costs which haven't been announced yet, but I'm hazarding around $300. Still not too bad. I probably can stay with Elaine, so no housing costs other than taking them out for dinner a few times. I eat fairly cheaply, so no problem there either. (Here comes the problem) The Marketplace. Yep. I am going to be surrounded by smooshy fibers, yarns, spinning implements, needles, work holding thingies, stitch markers, books, and things I probably don't even know I will need until I actually get there and see them in person. And then I have to get these things home! I better go look to see what an extra suitcase is going to cost me.

No comments: