Monday, February 23, 2009

When the F word is appropriate

Today is one of those days when I really want to say the F word really really loud. OK, I did, but I'm not going to write it. You see, I had this beautifully constructed post that included a goal, two book reviews and a challenge. It was wonderful and witty and well-written. (At least I like to think it was.) And then through a very fast quick mistake with my fingers (something involving a mistaken CTRL A instead of a Shift A) it all disappeared. And apparently there is no recovering it despite all the things I tried. Blogger is not Word. You can't go back to the last saved option. (sigh) So I will try (poorly) to reconstruct my thoughts.

Thought the first: My Goal: I had a conversation with a friend about our goals. Or "what I wish I could do if I wasn't afraid to fail." I said I would like to be a published writer, writing fiction and about knitting and design sock patterns. So she asked why I didn't and I said because I wasn't Stephanie Pearl-McPhee and she said I couldn't possibly be SP-M because A) I'm not Canadian B) I don't live where it is cold and C) I don't use a hyphen in my name. So my goal (and let's see if I actually do it) is to blog more often, design and submit patterns to start with at places like Knitty and Knotions and actually send some of my novels to agents and editors.

Thought the second: My current project: is the Nancy Bush Copper Penny Socks from book Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn by Carol Sulcoski. I am not crazy for the yarn I chose for these socks, but I am persevering. Partly because I refuse to give up and partly because my LYS owner is interested in my opinion of this yarn. The stitch definition of this yarn is very poor. It is also quite splitty and if you have to take anything out the yarn unplies very easily. Oh and I'm using Jojoland Melody Superwash. I love the colors, but the yarn is just lacking something. I will be interested in how this yarn washes up and how much it blooms. (This is where the first book review starts.) I love the pattern though. But then I love Nancy Bush. I already own two books by her (Vintage Socks and Folk Socks) and since she is admired by other designers that I admire (like Stephanie van der Linden) that makes me like her even more. This book is absolutely amazing and some of the most talented minds are here. I am especially enamoured with Kristi Schueler's two socks in this book: Longbourn Socks and Spread Spectrum. There are some really unique and creative approaches to socks in this book.

Thought the third: The real book review: I was so anxious for the book Socks a la Carte by the SWTC (South West Trading Company) Design Team. Then I got a copy of it. I wanted to cry. I loved the theory of this book. Take Cuff A put it on Leg/Foot B and add in a Heel C to create a truly unique pair of socks. Unfortunately, the execution of this book did not live up to the promise of the theory. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that the book used the exact same yarn in the exact same color throughout the book and either the yarn chosen really didn't define the stitches well or the photography or printing of the book didn't show the socks very well. It looked like the same sock over and over and only if you took your glasses of (OK, maybe I just take my glasses off) and really look could you see that one sock was different from the next. I was also perplexed why there were commonly known heels that were given different names from the "industry standard" names that I have come to know them by. Now according to my LYS owner, who talked to someone on the design team, the publisher was the one who was insisting that the yarn be all the same. I'm curious as to what will come out of this book. Perhaps if I see some Ravelers who have made socks using this book I might reconsider it or if I get bored I might take another gander at getting this book. I was just saddened to see such a great idea so poorly executed.

Thought the Third: A Challenge: This thought came to me when I was in the shower. I knit socks. I love knitting socks. I have the skills and ability to knit other things in my life, but I tend to fall too easily for socks. This past weekend the girls and I went out thrift store hunting. I came home with a striped skirt in lots of nuetral colors. They matched the outrageousely fun high top tennis shoes I found that are also in neutral colors and have embroidery all over them in copper threads and in greens, oranges and browns. The edges of the shoes and the tongue are ravelly. The skirt and shoes match nicely. I then got this Great Idea that I would knit a tank to go with it. But I will say nicely to myself that tanks just aren't the best garment for me. (sigh). So I have this very lovely Berroco Cotton Twist in Mum (an orange color) Ravelry Link I have 8 skeins, but I know that the other LYS in town has this same yarn and dyelot so I can get at least 4 more if I need to. My thought was that I want to make a pretty short or 3/4 sleeve cardigan to wear over an olive shell that I already have (and will go with this whole ensemble quite nicely). It doesn't need buttons and it can be a little flowy if it wants to be. Coldwater Creek had the exact spring sweater I was wanting last year, but since the majority of Coldwater Creek clothing comes from Chinese sweatshops, I don't purchase from there. So if anyone has an idea for a nice light spring sweater that can (or cannot) have some lace that would go well with a skirt and high top tennis shoes please comment and let me know. Or send me a PM on Ravelry (Rav name: knitncook)

OK, so that is the post sort of put back together. In short I want to do more writing and believe more in my ability to do so, I reviewed two books and I need a cute springy sweater for my Berroco Cotton Twist orange yarn. Oh and hopefully tomorrow I will be able to review the new Knotions magazine which is scheduled to be released sometime today.

No comments: