Monday, January 12, 2009

12 pairs in 12 months

I decided that my initial goal for this year was to make 12 pair of socks in 12 months. I made 9 pair of socks last year, so I think this is doable. My family, on the other hand, believes that I have taken the 52 pair plunge. Realistically it looks more like the 26 pair plunge. And if I make socks for The Man again that will definitely put an impact in the number of socks I have knit. So far I have managed to knit two pair.

My first pair are my socks made from Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock Multi in the Franklin's Panopticon colorway. I coveted this yarn this past fall and was all set to buy it, but someone at my LYS decided that buying one skein of sock yarn for a non-sock project was a good idea. Fortunately, my LYS owner managed another two skeins of this yarn and I swooped it up. If you aren't reading Franklin's Blog you are missing a real treat. The pattern I chose is by Star Athena and is called TRON. Star also has a wonderful blog which is sometimes quite humorous to read. I think she has some wonderful ideas and I have several of her patterns in my favorites on Ravelry (you have joined Ravelry, right?) Here are some pics:





I also have managed to make The Boy a pair of socks. He's been wanting a pair for a while, but what do you make for a boy with adult sized feet (ladies 7) that are still growing and who doesn't understand the concept of keeping his toenails clipped like a modern human but insists on growing them as though he were a neanderthal and whose room is starting to smell like he lives in a cave? The answer was thick worsted weight washable wool. I made him a pair of Fargyles by Jacki Kelly. This pattern can be found at Knitty and I made them with Moda Dea Washable Wool (found at most JoAnn stores). The rule was he couldn't wear the socks unless he clipped his toenails. Hopefully he won't think that he gets a new pair of socks everytime he clips his tonails. Although, that might be an incentive and I might just knit 52 pair of thick worsted weight socks this year. May have to ponder this idea some.

Here is a picture of his feet. Although I must say that his feet look like chubby baby feet in these pictures. He did have the cutest little baby toes. Sadly, though these feet are going to be monsters. He's only 10 and has feet bigger than mine.


I'm now on to my third pair of socks (yes third pair and it is only the twelfth of January) and am making the Severus Socks by Angela Tennant who also has a blog (doesn't everyone, even those who don't seem to be able to keep their's updated as well as others?) Severus is named after, of course, Severus Snape. I really love these socks. She has several Harry Potter themed patterns that she sells through Ravelry (yet one more reason to join ravelry - patterns you can purchase individually or even get for FREE!) OK, off to knit after I find my notes on doing short row heels.

No comments: