Friday, March 7, 2008

Magknits March review

Yes; late but it's finally here. My review of the Magknits 2008 patterns.

Tiny Bubbles This is a fun little scarf. I like the colors and considering you only need 200 yards you could really make this of just about any yarn. Not sure I would make it for myself as I'm not really a big scarf person, but definitely on my list for potential gifts for friends.

Josephine is a nice simple sweater (OK, looks simple to me) but unfortunately, it is sized only up to a 48 inche bust and designers have yet to consider making sizes for us BBB's. I like that it is made from some nice chunky yarn (Rowan Big Wool) so it would knit up really fast. Only 8 skeins for the largest size. I doubt it would be that hard to incrase, though looking at the pattern. Maybe if I get to Oregon before the world ends I'll make this. It is fairly impractical for Florida.

Now I could definitely get into Katlyn. Again this is a lovely sweater with great lines with a sort of kimono look made with bulky yarn (Brown Sheep Bulky) I'd probably substitute Wool-Ease Bulky just 'cause (it's cheaper and more easily obtainable for me). And (drumroll please) the designer has made this large enough for an XXL (60" bust!) And I can actually get away with only a regular XL. Woot!! Give this designer (Amber Daniels) a prize! Of course I'll probably make it blue or green. :)

Not sure I need a water bottle tote, but if I did I could definitely see making Sipp-a-Roo I like the pattern and may find a way to incorporate it into something else (maybe a shorter coffee cosy for Dan's endless Starbucks runs - since he never can remember to take his refillable mug).

Miss Muffett could almost make me want to have another child. Note that I did say almost. Maybe one of my younger friends will grace me with a child I can knit for. This is just a darling little knit dress. I just love everything about this little dress! The designer (Marjorie Brigham) was kind enough to give a variety of yarn choices for this little dress including some superwash yarns. I could even see this knit with a nice cool bamboo for hotter climates or maybe even linen or linen/cotton blend.

I want to make Pentapus as gloves. They are just so adorable. I'd even make them for myself! A simple modification of this stuffed plushie would make simply adorable gloves!

That's it for this month's Magknits!

No comments: